Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Kuala Kangsar

Today I decided to go to the pleasant little town of Kuala Kangsar in search of another elusive cemetery. I've found several sources telling me the location of it, but all of them have problems of some kind. One says it's in the western end of town (it's not), another says it's on Bukit Chandan Road (it's not), and another says it's near the "Government Resthouse" (such a place doesn't exist). To pinpoint the location once and for all, I had one option: to go there myself.

It's not difficult to get to Kuala Kangsar from Penang if you're familiar with the buses in Taiping. I am, so though it took 3 buses to get there (including the Taiping rattletrap Red Omnibus #8)...


... it was quick and easy. And the drive took me through some pretty countryside. Upon arrival I checked the ticket counters and saw there was a bus going directly back to Penang at 4:15 pm. Perfect! Three hours to explore, and a comfortable, convenient return!

Kuala Kangsar is a very small town, and easy to get around on foot. I went to where I thought the cemetery might be, and soon found it: Bukit Chandan Cemetery. It's located behind the Kuala Kangsar Rest House (not the "Government Resthouse"). It's a small cemetery, and I photographed all the legible graves there.



Then I continued along the road to take a look at Masjid Ubudiah, a famous mosque in the city.



Fishing in the Perak River


Ti plant
(Cordyline fruticosa)


A Kuala Kangsar claim to fame: Malaysia's oldest rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis), planted in 1877.


A game of cricket


Then I went back to Penang. Here's the bus terminal at Butterworth.



"May the Official of Heaven bestow good fortune upon us!"


Quiet Penang street scene


Lok Lok ("happy happy"): Pieces of food on skewers, which you boil in broth and then eat with sauces. The sticks are color-coded according to price, and when you're done, the stall owner takes the sticks and tallies up the total.


Tomorrow: the Snake Temple, then a flight to Kuala Lumpur to visit the Cheras Road Christian Cemetery!