Thursday, March 12, 2009

Trip to Penang

A week and a half ago I went with Robert, Kate and Katannya on a spectacular overnight camping trip to Beidawushan. I haven't had the time to write about it yet, so for the time being, please check out Robert's blog Pashan. He has a superb entry, which includes the adventure we had after descending from the mountain. I'll put up my entry after I get back from Penang.

Yes, that's right: Penang. Every year around this time I make a solo trip to Southeast Asia for a few days as a reward for making it through the rigors of the Busy Season. Last year I went to Bangkok. This year, Penang. Now is when fares are cheap, destinations are less touristed, and weather is good.

Why Penang? Because it's a wonderful destination for photography. And because, Penang being a major site of colonial history, I can indulge in my unusual hobby: graving (also known as cemetery research). For instance, I'll be seeking out the graves of famous people like Sir Francis Light (founder of Penang) and Thomas Leonowens (husband of Anna).

I leave tomorrow (Friday) morning. I will report updates from there!