Monday, March 16, 2009

Graving in Taiping

Today I went to Taiping, a city about 88 km away from Penang, to visit the Taiping War Cemetery. This cemetery is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery honoring WWII soildiers. While in Taiping, sitting on the bus, I happened to pass by another cemetery, Taiping Christian Cemetery, whose location had been eluding me until today...none of the online descriptions of its location were detailed enough, and some were dead wrong. So now I've been able to pinpoint its GPS coordinates for the Find A Grave site! So today's trip paid off big-time. And the entire round trip by bus and ferry cost me all of US$5.17!

Yeah, I know this probably bores you (unless you happen to be a Find A Grave member, that is).

Anyway, I'm too beat to post any pictures now...kind of in a hurry to go relax for the evening, perhaps drink a beer.

Will post more later.

OK, I'm back.

Here's Taiping War Cemetery:


And the elusive Taiping Christian Cemetery: