Saturday, February 27, 2010

A laid back day

Today I slept in quite late, blissfully unaware of the morning call to prayer broadcasted from the nearby mosque, thanks to my earplugs (which I consider, next to my passport, money, backpack, camera and clothing, my most essential travel gear).

I've recorded the call to prayer, and will put it up here as soon as I figure out how.

I went for a late breakfast at the dim sum place. On the way there, I walked along this walkway.



After breakfast, I went over to the Protestant Cemetery again, looking for more overlooked names. I found perhaps a dozen. I even spent several minutes trying to read a well-worn gravestone, finally figuring out it wasn't in English at all; it was in Armenian!

While there, I encountered an Australian guy, and he was interested in what I was doing. I told him I was an amateur researcher transcribing the cemetery and putting the data online. He told me, "You know, there's a website where you can add your own burial records... 'Find A Grave', or something like that."

After that, I decided to go to the Sheikh Omar Basheer Mausoleum. It's quite small and off the beaten path.



Next to it is a small Muslim cemetery.


A closeup of an Islamic gravestone


Then I went back downtown.

Chulia Street, the main drag of the old part of town.


As I walked from the bus stop, I saw this: one of the most poisonous plants on the face of the earth!

Oleander (Nerium oleander)


Street food: one of many things Penang is renowned for