Wednesday, February 24, 2010

All Settled In

Landed at 5:00, on the bus by 5:30, in town by 6:30. Plenty of sunlight left!

Went to the hostel I stayed at last year, 100 Cintra, but they're closed for renovations. My second choice, the popular Blue Diamond, was full. So I went to my third choice, the Oasis Hotel, which was once the popular backpacker hangout Swiss Hotel until the owner sold the place to another local hotel operator. It's a little worse for the wear from what I remember, but they're the same price as the place I stayed last year, and they have free wireless Internet!!

I still had an hour of daylight left, so I went exploring.

St. George's Church, closed for badly needed renovations.


Chinese lanterns and Kapitan Keling Mosque


Devotions inside Sri Mariamman Temple


A Hindu shrine


Some lanterns at a Chinese temple


The amazing thing is that all these places of worship, of so many different religions, are within a couple blocks of each other.

Now for some well-deserved sleep!