Thursday, December 6, 2007

My first peptic ulcer! Woohoo!

Well, no sooner was I finally getting over that miserable cold, than I started experiencing pain in my stomach.

In the past, occasionally after eating too much, I would experience excruciating pain that would begin perhaps 2 hours after eating, and would subside after several hours. Kind of like having a rock in my stomach. This only happened once every several months, and I attributed it to indigestion.

In the last week and a half, I experienced this three times. The first two times, the pain went away after several hours of misery. The third time, the pain remained, keeping me awake all night and making it impossible for me to work during the day.

So I went to the doctor. The ER, as it was late evening. After questioning and examination, it was determined that I have a peptic ulcer, and I was given medication and advice about what to eat and to avoid during treatment. Total cost for the visit and meds: US$15.

Unfortunately, I didn't get anything for the pain. It got worse, and I couldn't sleep; I couldn't do anything - I was writhing in agony. I went back to the hospital; Kitty came with me this time. The doctor gave me additional exams, and then gave me a shot of painkiller. I don't know what it was, but it worked. The pain faded, and by the time I got home I was pain-free and could sleep. (Total cost for second visit: 33 US cents! Long live socialized medicine!) I slept like a baby. Now it's the next morning, and I can feel a dull pain again, but nowhere near the sharp, throbbing pain I felt yesterday.

I am on the road to recovery.

Being sick sucks. I look forward to being in full health again.