Monday, August 9, 2010

Kranji War Cemetery

After leaving the Merlion, I walked a bit along the Singapore River to the MRT station.

Old buildings along Singapore River


Next stop only first full day was Kranji War Cemetery. It's a Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery dedicated to those who died defending Singapore against the Japanese in World War II.

Kranji War Cemetery


Cross of Sacrifice


Next to Kranji War Cemetery is the State Cemetery. Only two people are buried here so far; one of them is Dr. Benjamin Henry Sheares, the first president of the Republic of Singapore.



Grave of Benjamin Henry Sheares


Then I returned. Once back in Chinatown I stopped at the Buddha Tooth Temple for a spell.

A wall of Buddhas


I'll have to explore that temple more.

Then I got together with my friend Harry and some of his co-workers and did a little pub crawling. Drank many beers. Some of the bars were pretty wild. That's another story.