Monday, September 15, 2008

Typhoon

While the world's attention was focused on Hurricane Ike, we had out own hurricane here...well, it's a typhoon, but it's the same meteorological phenomenon.

Taipei was drenched with heavy rains for two and a half days straight, but the winds weren't so bad. The winds were worse in other parts of the island. So far the damage has yet to be assessed in total, but there were media reports of collapsed bridges, landslides, and so on. Damage to houses in cities is generally minimal because buildings, for the most part, are built of reinforced concrete, and as such they withstand the typhoons which batter Taiwan several times a year.

Yes, I know, I haven't posted much lately. Every time I think I finally have some free time, along comes another project for me to do. But that's good...it's my livelihood!