Sunday, July 6, 2008

Morning in Manila

On my flight back to Taiwan, via Philippine Airlines (which offered the cheapest round-trip flight available at the time I booked), I had an 11-hour layover in Manila.

We landed at 3 am. Originally I planned to wait until sunup before venturing out into the city. But on arriving at the transfer counter, I learned that the airline would put me up in a hotel for free, and give me free transportation to and from the hotel. That gave me the chance to freshen up and get in a little sleep before going out on the town.

So, soon after dawn, refreshed and relaxed, I set out. I walked down the street, past a baseball stadium, to the Vito Cruz LRT station, and rode 3 stops to the UN Avenue station, from where I walked to Rizal Park.

Rizal Park is in the heart of the city. It's an attractive open space where I saw families, couples and student groups picnicking and enjoying the day.


At the west end of the park is a monument to the father of the country, Jose Rizal, who was executed by the Spanish at this spot and whose remains are interred here. Here's a photo of the Rizal Monument:



After visiting the monument, I walked northward toward Intramuros, the old city of Manila, which is still surrounded by 400-year-old city walls.


Outside the wall, there's a golf course. Kind of strange, huh?


Then I went inside Intramuros, which is quite beautiful.


Along the main street is a church: San Augustin Church, which is 401 years old this year.


Here's the interior. Note the trompe l'oeil murals on the ceiling, making it look like carved stone:


Then outside, along the street, I saw a Jeepney, a local form of cheap transportation. They have their origins in the jeeps left behind by the US military after WWII.


And here are some calesas, horse carriages for tourists:


Just up the main street is Manila Cathedral, built in 1578.


Then I walked to the south wall, and climbed the steps up onto the ramparts.






I don't know what this round thing is, but you can see it on Google Earth:


Then the weather started getting worse, so I headed back. I walked back through Rizal Park, passing the Lapu Lapu Monument. Lapu Lapu was the chieftain who killed Magellan.


I took the LRT back to Vito Cruz station, and walked back to the hotel. Here's a couple of typical Manila street scenes:




Then after taking a shower (I was all grimy and sweaty after traipsing around Manila), I took a rest, and then went back to the airport for my flight to Taiwan.